We all know that making health a priority is essential to ensuring high quality of life. But you may not realize just how important your spine health is to your ability to continue enjoying a pain-free existence and to keep performing the activities you love, as well as those common to everyday life. If you think about it, we use our backs for nearly every motion, from sitting, standing, and walking, to opening and closing doors, to reaching for items overhead, just for example. And when you’re experiencing back pain, all of these movements can be impacted. The point is that you need to focus on basic spine health as part of your resolve to attain better overall health and well-being. Here are a few tips to get you on the right track.
- Proper posture. Posture used to be drummed into upper crust children courtesy of finishing school, but these days it seems as though slouching has become an art form practiced and perfected by disenfranchised youth. And the unfortunate result will be back pain, spinal curvature, and eventually an unattractive, hunchback appearance. If you want to protect the health of your spine, not to mention looking healthy and fit, an erect posture and proper carriage are definitely the place to start. So balance a book on your head, practice pulling your shoulders back and your chin up, or take online tutorials devoted to spinal alignment through correct posture. It will take some level of awareness to accomplish, but you can definitely improve your posture, and your spine health in the process.
- Core strength. The muscles of your abdomen and lower back work to support your spine and keep it in alignment. So taking the time to exercise and strengthen these crucial muscle groups should be a part of your daily fitness routine. You can do this in any number of ways, including crunches, standing ab and back exercises, and yoga or Pilates, just for example. And you’ll enjoy a flatter belly and a well-supported spine as a result.
- Weight loss. Carrying a few extra pounds around your midsection might not seem like the end of the world, but it puts a lot of strain on your back, leading to pain and poor spine health. When you shed that unwanted weight through diet and exercise, you’ll not only improve the state of your back, but also your overall health.
- Ergonomic solutions. The position you assume for work – i.e. hunched over a desk, staring at a monitor all day – can have a marked effect on your posture and your spine health. So make sure to utilize ergonomic products like a keyboard, chair, and desk that are designed to position you for optimal body alignment and spinal health.
- Professional help. Whether you have a chronic condition, an injury, unexplained pain, or a pronounced curve to your spine due to years of slouching, you may find that you need the help of specialists like those at ConquestMD Spine Care and Sports Medicine to help you ease pain, correct posture, and improve your spine health. Don’t hesitate to get the help you need post haste in order to stop further damage from occurring.