Nexium (Esomeprazole) is described as a member of a group of medications that is called as proton pump inhibitors. The drug is mainly prescribed by the doctors to treat disorders that are caused due to excessive production of acids in the stomach. The active ingredient that is added in this drug helps in treating various other disorders that include Zollinger-Ellison syndrome as well as gastroesophageal-reflux-disease. The drug is also prescribed to treat conditions like stomach ulcer and reduce the amount of acid formed in the stomach.
Why Nexium is Prescribed?
Naturally, acid is produced in your stomach, which helps in digesting food it even works in killing germs (bacteria). This acid gets nuisance in the body as a result it produces natural mucous barrier protecting the lining of your stomach. This barrier gets break down if any individual takes non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). The breakdown of the barrier would allow the acid to damage the stomach and even cause inflammation, ulcers and other problems. Now, here comes the work of Nexium (Esomeprazole).
Being Proton pump inhibitor type of medication, it helps in stopping cells in the lining of the stomach and even from producing excessive acid. The medication purely assists in preventing the formation of ulcers inside the stomach. Besides, the drug also acts as the healing process where damage has already occurred. Moreover, by decreasing the amount of acid inside the stomach, esomeprazole can also help in reducing the symptoms of acid reflux disease to a great extent.
How should one take Nexium Drug?
- If you are prescribed to take Nexium, first of all make sure that take it exactly as asked by your doctor. Follow the direction as written on your prescription level and even take the exact dosage as advised by your doctor.
- Take the course of the medication as prescribed by the doctor. Usually, the medication is prescribed for 4 to 8 weeks only and sometimes your doctor may ask you to extend the course depending upon your condition.
- Take the medication with or without food as asked by your physician and even ensure that you take full glass of water with it.
- Do not crush or chew the medication, on the contrary you need to swallow it whole with water.
Does Nexium have Any Side Effect?
Along with the positive effects, Nexium may also cause unwanted side effects that are common and rare. Some of these are mentioned below:
- Chest Pain, dizziness, fast heartbeat
- Cough chills and shortness of breath
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
- Diarrhea, drowsiness, headache
- Nausea, vomiting or sore throat
Some individual may experience common side effects like back pain, changes in vision hiccup, hearing loss, slow heartbeat or pulse. If anyone experiences the mentioned side effects, he/she should take instant medical attention.
Now talking about the dosage of Nexium, one should take it only as prescribed by the doctor. Never miss any dose or get over dose at any condition, because this can harm your body. Always try to take it regularly same time every day, to gain benefit out of it.
Visit here to know more about Nexium.